Skip to main content
Press release

Work on Injury Unit in Carlow gets under way in August

Work on the new Injury Unit in Carlow gets under way in August. Following some enabling works carried out earlier this year, a contractor has been appointed by the HSE Dublin and South East and the re-purposing of approximately 265 square metres within the ground floor of the St. Dympna's Hospital building will proceed.

The €1.9 million project is expected to be completed early next year.

The Injury Unit in Carlow will operate under the auspices of St. Luke’s General Hospital Carlow/Kilkenny. The Injury Unit will be located in what was formerly known as the St. Anne’s Ward and staff training room areas of St. Dympna’s Hospital and which in recent decades had been converted to office accommodation and used as a non-clinical space.

The adjacent X Ray outreach facility at St. Dympna’s and serving St. Luke’s General Hospital for Carlow/Kilkenny was recently upgraded and will be an integral part of the new facility. The new unit will include a reception and waiting area, two clinical rooms, a clinical multi-bedroom, consultant's office, support spaces and staff facilities.

The Injury Unit in Carlow will provide an alternative access for patients for the management of minor injuries, as opposed to attending an Emergency Department. A complete episode of care for the patient can be provided and it will be equipped to treat conditions such as:

  • broken bones, sprains and strains, from knees to toes, from collarbone to fingertips.
  • minor facial injuries (including oral, dental and nasal injuries).
  • minor scalds and burns.
  • wounds, bites, cuts, grazes and scalp lacerations (cuts).
  • small abscesses and boils.
  • splinters and fish hooks.
  • objects stuck in eyes, ears or nose.
  • minor head injuries (fully conscious patients, who did not have loss of consciousness or vomit after the head injury).

Minister for Health, Jennifer Carroll MacNeill T.D., said: “The commencement of work on the new Local Injury Unit in Carlow reflects our continued commitment to expanding access to urgent care closer to where people live. This investment will make it easier for people with minor injuries to receive timely, high-quality treatment in their own community, while also helping to reduce pressure on busy Emergency Departments across the region.

“I welcome the progress being made on this project and look forward to seeing the unit open early next year, providing a modern, high-quality service that will benefit the people of Carlow and surrounding areas.”

Minister for Public Health, Wellbeing and the National Drugs Strategy, Jennifer Murnane O’Connor T.D., said: "This is fantastic news for Carlow. The new Injury Unit will provide faster access to care for people with minor injuries closer to home and represents a major enhancement of healthcare services in the county."

As hoardings were erected last week in preparation for the forthcoming works, Roseanne Killeen, Integrated Healthcare Area Manager, Carlow-Kilkenny/Tipperary South, HSE Dublin and South East, visited the site in St. Dympna’s, where she said: “Along with Niamh Lacey (Hospital Manager, St. Luke’s General Hospital Carlow/Kilkenny), we were delighted to be joined by Minister of State at the Dept. of Health with special responsibility for Public Health, Well Being and the National Drugs Strategy Jennifer Murnane O’ Connor T.D. to see the progress in what is a significant project for the HSE locally. We are looking forward to the Local Injury Unit coming into operation early next year. Staffing arrangements, in terms of the requisite clinical, nursing and administrative supports, are under way and we expect the unit to initially operate Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.”

“The treatment of unscheduled, non-life threatening or limb-threatening injuries at this Local Injury Unit will assist in meeting demands on St. Luke’s General Hospital in Kilkenny. With the Carlow unit in operation, we anticipate faster access to diagnostic and radiography services and improved patient outcomes for people in Carlow and surrounding areas.”

During last week’s visit, Minister Murnane O’Connor, T.D., added: “This is really welcome news for county Carlow. With our growing population it so important that we have access to our own injury clinic, allowing the people of county Carlow greater access to medical services for minor injuries, rather than having to travel to St Luke’s General Hospital.

“I will continue to work with the HSE in getting this project over the line. Work on the new injury clinic will begin shortly and it’s vital that we get it up and running as soon as possible,” she added.

This is a beta version - your feedback will help us to improve it

Work on Injury Unit in Carlow gets under way in August